I can be contacted at sumay888@hotmail.com

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Student Essay - It was the most terrifying moment of my life – Muhammad Azfar, 14 years old, Homeschooled

It was the most terrifying moment of my life – Muhammad Azfar, 14 years old, Homeschooled

A mojority of poeple in the world think that the most dangerous job in the world is to become a bomb defuser. However, that was why I chose this job – because there were very few bomb defusers in Malaysia. I wanted to be one because I would be able to earn a high salary. I had been working as a bomb defuser for about 15 years. Most of the cases that were handed to me were easily solved. One day, I received a call while I was having fun with my family at Sunway Lagoon.

The call was from my personal assistant. From the way she spoke to me, I already knew that something was not right. She sounded panicky and scared. Then she slowly told me that the management from Mid Valley Shopping Mall had received a call from an unknown man. The unknown man said that we had a defuse a bomb in Mid Valley Shopping Mall and the bomb’s whereabouts was unknown. The man gave us only two hours to find the bomb.

So I asked my personal assistant to call the police, firefighters and my colleagues to help look for the bomb. On the way to the mall, my hands were shaking because I realised that thousands of people would die if I didn’t manage to defuse the bomb. I said to myself, “Relax and I will be able to get the job done.” When I arrived at the mall, I asked the men who were helping me to evacuate the building. I also asked them to search for the bomb. We were soon left with only one hour.

I was sweating, running here and there looking for the bomb. I searched all the floors of the mall but I coudln’t find the bomb. I also searched the carpark but the bomb was not there either. I was left with only half an hour. My heart was pumping very quickly. Suddenly, I ran past a dark shop and saw a blinking blue and red light. I said to myself, “That is the bomb!” In my 15 years’ experience as a bomb defuser, I had never seen a bomb like that before because it had black and blue wires. Usually, a bomb had red and blue wires. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and cut the black wire.

I expected to hear the sound of explosion because in a black-and-blue-wired bomb, we should cut the blue wire to defuse it. However, something was telling me that I should cut the black wire. In my mind, I was thinking about my family and friends. I was still young and was not ready to die. I opened my eyes and looked at the bomb. I saw that the bomb was defused. I was speechless with joy. I felt so relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment