I can be contacted at sumay888@hotmail.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Student Essay - The day of the big competition – Benjamin Park Joo Young, Year 9, Sayfol International School

The day of the big competition – Benjamin Park Joo Young, Year 9, Sayfol International School

It was the day I took a deep breath and entered the hall with the most confidence I could find in myself but my hands which were holding my bag of art impplements trembled with nervousness. I could not participate in the competition with a light heart because it had the potential to change my life forever. I had an older sister who was better than me at everything. I was always looked down upon by my parents who adored my sister. I was neither pretty or smart, like she was, but one day, my class teacher, Ms. Kim, noticed my artistic talent and chose me as the representative for the competition. While I was comforting myself, I heard a man holding a microphone announcing for the participants to gather in the hall as the competition was about to start.

Many students participated and they all looked very professional. I felt like a wimp but told myself to focus on listening to the man’s instructions. After the long speech, the topic was given. It was to draw a scene from the garden outside. While I was thinking about the details of the drawing, the bell rang. Immediately, all the students rushed out of the hall. I didn’t understand the reason for such a fuss but it became clear to me after I went out. All the best spots had been occupied by them. Meanwhile, the sun was shining in the middle of the sky. It was so hot and stuffy and I had to find a suitable place for drawing. At last, I found a small flower garden where the variety of magnificent colours blossomed into a splendid view. I was amazed and immediately opened my bag to take out my art implements. I was dumbfounded - I had forgotten to bring my crayon set!

I panicked and couldn’t think of any appropriate solution. The only thing I could feel was the glaring sunbeam shining upon me. I felt suffocated so I decided to rest under the shade of a tree for a while. While I was telling myself that I had no choice but to give up, I looked up at the dark leaves of the tree. Sunlight could be seen through the leaves, scattered by them. Then a thought came into my mind. I rummaged through the sack I had brought and managed to find a black ink pen. I smiled with triumph because that was the best art implement. I decided to draw the sunbeams which looked so bright when contrasted with the dark shadowy leaves. I started my sketching, putting in more effort than I usually would, because the drawing meant a lot to me.

I employed the shading effect and different methods for expressing the texture of the leaves, tree trunks, branches and light. When I was drawing, I realised that my situation was similar to the drawing so I expressed my feelings through the brightness and darkness of the shading. I became completely absorbed in that piece of artwork. Fortunately, I made it on time and submitted it to the invigilator. Although the piece was made in a hurry, I was satisfied that I had solved the problem of not having brought my crayon set. I was also happy that I managed to complete the drawing.

After a few days, I received a call from the director of the art competition. It was quite a surprise for me. They said that they were amazed to see my work and complimented me on the way I expresssed my feelings through my art piece. I was awarded and everybody began to realise that I was indeed an outstanding artist. My life changed from then.

No comments:

Post a Comment